I made this recipe a few weeks ago and we both loved it! I enjoy making variations of meatballs for weeknight dinners for a couple reasons. They are quick to mix together, put in the oven and have time to get a few things done while they cook (I’m all about efficiency). Turkey meatballs also pack a lot of lean protein in without eating a grilled chicken breast for the 4th time this week. For this recipe, I tried an Asian twist and made these Paleo Asian meatballs with cauliflower rice.
Still feeling a little skeptical about cauliflower rice? I was too for a long time. How could a vegetable be as good at the real thing, right? I was wrong. And I’m not the only one who was fooled. The first time I replaced our white rice with cauliflower rice, my husband didn’t even notice (but won’t admit it). You might be thinking that it takes too long or you need a special kitchen gadget. Nope. I make mine in a blender. If you still think it’s too complicated, you can purchase pre-made cauliflower rice from the produce section of Whole Foods . You can’t get any easier than that!
Cauliflower rice tastes great and is so much better for you. Not only will you be saving yourself close to 200 calories per serving when compared to white rice, but cauliflower rice has about 5 times the amount of potassium and fiber. Have I convinced you to give it a try yet? Let me know what you think!
If you loved it, check out my recipe for Chicken and Sausage Gumbo with Cauliflower Rice.
- 1 lb. Ground Turkey
- 1 Egg
- 3 Green Onions- Chopped
- 2 Garlic Colves- Finely Diced
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Ground Ginger
- 1 Tbs. Siracha Sauce
- 1/3 Cup Honey
- Juice from 1/2 Lime
- 1 Tbs. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Aminos or Low Sodium Soy Sauce (not paleo)
- 1 Clove Garlic- Finely Diced
- 2 Tbs. Hoisin Sauce (make sure to check the ingredients for any wheat or corn flour for this will not be Paleo.
- Cooking Spray
- Sesame Seeds- for topping
- 1 Stalks Green Onion-chopped
- 1 Head of Cauliflower- cut into florets
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for the meatballs and mix well.
- Roll a large tablespoon of the ground turkey mixture into balls.
- Place on cookie sheet prepped with cooking spray.
- Bake for 15-20 mins.
- While meatballs are cooking, start making your sauce. In a medium saucepan, combine honey, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, coconut aminos (or soy sauce), garlic, and hoisin sauce.
- Bring to boil for 5 minutes then decrease heat until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Add meatballs to sauce and stir gently to cover each meatball completely.
- Serve over cauliflower rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.
- While meatballs cook, make your cauliflower rice. Place the cauliflower florets in a blender or food processor.
- Pulse a few times until the texture resembles rice. You may need to do this in 2-3 batches.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat and add oil. Add cauliflower rice to the skillet and cook for 8-10 mins, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat an add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm and top with meatballs.