I made this Cheesy Gnocchi with Arugula and Chicken last week when we had a craving for mac & cheese. We know mac & cheese isn’t the most healthy option but still needed that comfort food taste. I whipped up this gnocchi with chicken and arugula recipe and we loved it. For those who follow a gluten-free diet, this recipe can make for a great pasta alternative (but read the packaging, some contain wheat and others only have potato) Plus, gnocchi takes less time to boil! I guess you could call this recipe a sophisticated spin on mac & cheese.
like to make at least 4 servings so we have leftovers to take to work for lunch the next day. This recipe re-heats well and makes for a nice lunch the following day. Let me know what you think!
Easy and yummy recipe that's heathy. Options for gluten free or lactose free
- 1 Tbs. Garlic infused olive oil
- 3-4 Chicken breasts
- 1 Can mushrooms
- 2/3 Cup fresh arugula
- 4 Tbs. Millet flour (or other gluten free flour)
- 1 1/3 Cups Almond Coconut milk blend (I like this kind )
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 2/3 Cup shredded Swiss cheese (lactose free if desired)
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesean cheese
- 16 oz Gluten Free Gnocchi
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat garlic infused oil in a pan.
- In a separate pot, start to boil water for the gnocchi.
- Season trimmed chicken breasts with salt and pepper and add to oil.
- While chicken is cooking, start to make the creamy cheese sauce. In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter. Once it is melted, add the 4 Tbs. of flour, mixing well between each tablespoon. Mix well and reduce heat.
- Slowly add the almond/ coconut milk, stirring frequently.
- Once sacuce begins to thicken slightly, add shredded Swiss cheese slowly until sauce is smooth. Remove from heat once the sauce has reached desired thickness.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from the pan and cut into bite size pieces. Add chicken back into the pan. Add arugula and wait for it to wilt slightly. Add canned mushrooms and heat through.
- Add the sauce to your chicken, arugula, mushroom mixture.
- On medium heat, allow the mixture to heat through for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Boil the gnocchi as directed by the package (usually about 3-5 minutes). The gnocchi is ready when it floats to the top.
- Drain gnocchi well and add to chicken mixture. Mix well.
- Seve and top with some shredded parmesean cheese or other lactose free cheese of your choice.